Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Current Holdings

I had a great day today, but I missed out on a Grand Slam…
I read a report yesterday that discussed the Annual Rebalancing of the Commodities Indexes and the impact of this rebalancing on the components of the indexes. I wanted to put in stops to Short Crude Oil, because Crude Oil weighting increased from 9.63% to 13.75% of the Index. That is a 43% increase! About $75 Billion is pegged to these indexes, so anticipated rebalancing led to an enormous amount of buying in Crude Oil.

I missed the trade, because I was in meetings yesterday until after the market closed. Today, the -200% Short Crude Oil ETF (DTO) was up +30.85%. TODAY!!!! Sh*t…
A 5% position up 30% would have made accounts 1.5% today.

Current Holdings
3% British Pound (FXB) @ $147.50
5% -200% Short Financials (SKF) @ $106
5% -200% Energy Stocks (DUG) @ $22.25

I personally bought some FXP (-200% Short China) yesterday at $30.14 for my trading account. I didn’t feel comfortable buying it for others.

I like another commodity short, but it is very thinly traded, so I will share it with you if it triggers.

No comments: