Thursday, June 4, 2009

No Time for Charts Today

If this were easy I would be rich and retired - but the simple fact is that when you are investing other people's money, there is always the fear of having their money get blasted on any given day.

I wish that I had played every setup that I saw. But it is not that easy. The potential of a -8% day is very sobering.

Alright, enough of that...
First, look at the volume on UNG (Natural Gas). What the...
I own it for myself. I bought more on the weakness this morning. I figure that it has all the same dynamics as the other commodities - which have gone vertical.

Oil rallied off the low, then pulled back for a few weeks and then went vertical. UNG is now 16 days into the retest of its low. The volume is gigantic - so either somebody is buying a ton of it or it is the day-trading epicenter of the Universe.

The charts are still working. I got to day-trade Amazon for bunch of money - it went from $77.5 to $85 in like 3 hours... $85-ish was the old high, so I bailed. MT and STLD went vertical and I sold them the day before they got crushed...

The Financials are set up for a potential breakout - Visa (V), Bank of America (BAC), Wells Fargo (WFC), the Banking Index (KBE)and General Electic (GE) look like they want to go higher. Will they? I have stops in place if they fail.

Caterpillar (CAT) has the same pattern.

Energy has pulled back into support (XLE).

The way I have tried to balance risk in this market is to sell extended holdings and rotate the money into securities near support or near breaking out.

Watch Netflix (NFLX) and see how it trades off of $40. If they can gap it over the 50-day at $42.77, then they could squeeze that sucker into the recent highs in a nanosecond. I'm not telling you to buy it - I am simply telling you that stocks at support have had this miraculous trait of launching through logical short stops and then going vertical on the following short squeeze.

I continue to have to hold my nose and buy. I would love to see a big pullback, but am forced into new holdings each time the markets work higher.

When the real selling shows up, I will know it and I will tell you. That is the difference - I know when to get the hell out of the way. There will be another Bear. The higher they ramp this new liquidity bubble, the more the next Bear will hurt - but does it start in 2009 or 2010 or 2013?????

No comments: