Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lots of Similar Patterns

Many sectors are stuck in narrow trading ranges. The next big move wins to break stocks out for another leg higher or down for a retest of the March lows. Only time will tell.

Commercial Real Estate (VNQ)
VNQ has been in a narrow trading range, tracking below the 200-day (Blue Line). A break above $32.50 is needed to get me interested or a breakdown that shakes out some current shareholders.

Transportation (IYT)
A break of $52.50 would be bad and indicate that a retest of the lows was under way. A break above $55 could carry IYT to retest the $62 high and the 200-day at $63.23.

Financials (KBE)
Financials are in a still pulling back from the May 5th highs and may work down to the old breakout at $15. A break above $18.50 would get me interested.

I want to note that KBE did break above $18.50 this morning and I did not buy it. I was concerned that it would not be able to carry much higher after the size of yesterday’s advance. I was right. I have seen too many failed breakouts recently and am a little leery.

Energy (XLE)
XLE has teste the 20-day (Green Line) on numerous occasions since the March lows (Green Arrows). A break above $50 is good and a break below $47.50 is bad.

Oil Service (OIH)
I had to double check to make sure that this wasn’t the chart of XLE…
Same story as XLE - the 200-day is a brick wall and until it is taken out, nothing happens. Unless something dramatic happens, this will be one of the first things that I own when I start buying.

Homebuilders (XHB)
A break above $12.75 is good and a break of $11.83 is bad. Notice how XHB has already retraced 38% of the March low to May high. That makes this a weak sector, along with Financials and Transports. I want to focus on leaders and not so much on laggards. I will need to watch these groups carefully. Your holdings are either pulling the market higher or hanging on for the ride up – you want the leaders in your portfolio!

Relative Strength in Commodities
I wanted to show you how the different types of Commodities are doing relative to one another. I show them from strongest to weakest.

Agricultural Commodities (DBA)
DBA has been the best performing commodities area. It has been able to break out of a base dating back to early October 2008. It has also cleared the 200-day (Blue Line). I will be looking to buy pullbacks into the Red Line (with a tight stop, of course).

Industrial Metals (DBB)
DBB crashed into the 200-day (Blue Line) and has been pulling back ever since. It now sits on the 50-day (Black Line). A break here could carry price down towards $13.

Energy
Crude Oil (USO) has been a substantial under-performer. It has barely broken above first resistance and is nowhere near its 200-day or the highs of December 2008.

I will focus on the leaders and not the laggards.

All Commodities (DBC)
The entire Commodities Complex can be owned in one ETF – DBC. You can see how DBC has lagged DBA because of its weighting in Energy.

DBC has now been basing (trading sideways) for 6 months, so a break above $23 and the 200-day will be very constructive.

No comments: